Her asymmetrical sponsons, inspired by offshore race boat design, are a first among fishing catamarans. So are her fully flush decks, unbroken by a step up forward of the console. And so are her distinctive reverse sheer line and tapering bow, which make her not just good looking for a cat, but good looking by any standard. The term "game changer" gets thrown around a lot these days, but the Prowler 42 might just qualify.
Our asymmetrical sponson design delivers the benefits of a long, narrow deep-vee — precise handling and predictable manners at speed and monohull good looks — combined with the benefits of a cat — unparalleled ride quality, exceptional drifting/trolling stability, improved fuel efficiency, and cavernous belowdecks storage.
As much as she might look like an offshore racer from the rub rail down, though, rest assured that she's an uncompromising fish and dive platform everywhere else.
In addition to her industry-first flat decks, which allow for a comfortable, secure fish fighting position in the bow, she offers more than 850 gallons worth of insulated, locking, lighted belowdecks compartments for fish, gear, and dry storage, plus another 400 gallons in twin coffin boxes. An expansive dash accommodates up to three 16" displays, and twin 55-gallon aquarium-style livewells in the aft corners put bait right where you need it.
Helm seating can be configured with either one or two rows to accommodate up to six in deluxe bolster seats with folding armrests. Aft-facing seating and tackle center options are also available. Seating forward of the console can also be custom configured with a variety of loungers and upright seats. Air-conditioned sleeping accommodations can also be spec'd.
Length overall: 41'10"
Hull Draft: 18“
dry weight w/ twins: ~ 9,900 lbs.
Power: Twin 300 hp to Quad 400 hp
Fuel: 400 Gal. (500 optional)
An industry first for fishing catamarans, the Prowler 42’s asymmetrical sponson design resembles that found on offshore racing catamarans yet incorporates far more deadrise — 26˚ vs. the 9˚ - 13˚ found on most go-fast cats. The one-of-a-kind Prowler hull makes use of carefully designed lifting strakes, steps, and other running surface features to help offset the negative effects of the deeper vee while taking advantage of its strengths. Meanwhile, a knife-sharp 55˚ entry eats gulf chop. The result is a fast, efficient, soft-riding cat with exceptional manners — no leaning out in turns, no bow-steer in following seas, no wallowing in the trough. The high tunnel is well clear of the surface at speed, eliminating “sneeze” and dramatically increasing efficiency. Striking lines are a welcome side effect.
Bow-to-Stern Flush Decks
The Prowler 42 and 36 are the only fishing catamarans in their class designed with flat decks from bow to stern. While the raised casting/sunning platform in the bow of most cats certainly has its uses, there’s no question that the flush deck design is superior for dedicated offshore fishing platforms, allowing anglers to work fish 360 degrees around the boat with generous toe-room and a thigh-height bolster the entire way.
Endless Layout Options
The 42 can be built with a wide variety of seating and layout options. At the helm, choose between a single row of flip-up bolster seats with armrests, or a double-row “school bus” arrangement with room for six. Forward of the console, opt for twin contoured loungers concealing side-by-side 200-gallon coffin boxes or a freestanding coffin box with folding loungers. Numerous other options are available, including air-conditioned sleeping accommodations.
Power of Choice
As an independent, custom builder, Renaissance Prowler will rig and install your choice of power package. The 42, though, also offers a choice between twin and quad configurations. Rated for up to quad 400s, she also performs admirably with twin 350s, topping out in the high 50s and cruising at a very economical 35 mph. In fact, many buyers choose twins over quads for the lower initial investment and reduced weight, fuel, maintenance, and other costs. With quads, the 42 can run into the 70s. She’ll also plane off with just a single 350.
Fanatical Attention to Detail
The fact that the Prowler 42 is a hardcore offshore fishing machine doesn’t mean we cut any corners on the details. All compartments are fully insulated, finished, and illuminated. All hatches are fully finished on both sides for appearance and ease of cleaning and secured with heavy-duty, locking compression latches. Deep channels and top-of-the-line D-profile gaskets keep compartments truly dry and significantly improve ice retention, while console doors are molded and finished in-house — not third-party plastic parts.
(Requires YouTube app on mobile devices.)
Standards and Options
Hull and Deck
- Flush deck bow to stern
- Bulkhead-reinforced and foam-filled for an unsinkable platform
- 100% hand laid fiberglass throughout
- High-tech construction using multidirectional fabrics: bi-, tri-, and quad-directional non-woven fabrics for unsurpassed strength
- Foam cored hull using ISO 9001 compliant materials such as Divinycell, Nida-core, and glass reinforced high density urethane
- Premium UV-stabilized gel coat
- 100% vinyl ester resin hull (AME 6000)
- Self-bailing cockpit with overboard drains
- Walk-through transom with integrated dive platform
- Knee-friendly nonskid cockpit sole and deck
- Bulti-in hose rack
- Single- or double-row helm seating for three or six with flip-up bolsters and folding armrests
- Lounge seating forward with folding armrests, cup holders, and coffin boxes beneath
- Deluxe console with space for full-sized head
- Oversized electronics panel with space for three 16" displays
- Lockable storage inside console
- Custom color-coordinated upholstery
- Easy-access side entry door
- Ritchie compass
- Convenient LED lighting
Cockpit Sole/Deck Compartments
- Twin fully insulated 500 qt. aft fish boxes with diaphragm pumps
- Quad 612 qt. fully insulated midship fish boxes
- Twin fully insulated 800 qt. coffin boxes under console loungers
- Three anchor stowage compartments with large lids to accommodate 20" bumper balls
- All hatches double-sided with D-grooved gaskets for effective seal
- All compartments LED illuminated
- Twin 55 gal. pressurized transom livewells with aquarium windows and lighting
- International lighting
- Uflex MasterDrive dual-cylinder steering with tie bar
- High performance trim tabs (Bennett XPT or equivalent)
- Tilt helm with custom stainless steel steering wheel
- Four 2,200 gph bilge pumps (2 aft, 2 amidships)
- 30 gal. freshwater washdown with 5.2 gpm pump
- Saltwater washdown with 5.2 gpm pump
- Epoxy-coated aluminum fuel cells with crossover valves
- All 316 stainless steel hardware
- Heavy duty compression locks on all latches
- Stainless steel gas struts or friction hinges on all hatches
- Seven 8" heavy duty pull-up cleats
- Eighteen heavy duty stainless steel rod holders
- Four cast heavy duty SS rod holders
- Tinned wiring and epoxy-lined connectors throughout with isolated systems
- Custom backlit LED carbon-look switch panels (port and stbd)
- LED resettable switches
- Navigation lights
- LED lighting in all compartments, including anchor stowage
- Multi-color LED lighting under gunnels
- Multi-color LED lighting under T-top/hardtop
- Forward and aft LED spreader lights
- Two 12-volt accessory plugs
Renaissance Prowlers are created in partnership with the owner, allowing an an unparalled degree of freedom and creativity in the process. From design, to rigging of third party state-of-the-art equipment, to luxurious appointments, we accommodate and deliver to the most discriminating customers. Prowler owners are happy to speak with prospective owners and serve as our references, and sea trials are available throughout the United States. Available customizations include, but are not limited to:
- Customizable heavy duty T-tops
- Custom radar arches
- Taco outriggers
- Audio packages
- Customized electronics
- Configurable rear seating options
- Custom hull color combinations
- Bow cushions
- Coaming pads
- Dive ladder options, including Armstrong removable ladders
- Configurable dive tank holders
- Anchor windlass